[squid-users] Is there a way to limit the number of upload/downloads

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Fri Jun 12 20:59:16 UTC 2015

On 12/06/2015 11:47 p.m., TarotApprentice wrote:
> I've looked through the reference and the nearest thing I can find is
> the delay pools. I am trying to limit the number of concurrent
> downloads and uploads to save saturating a DSL link.

That would be because the number of transactions is meaningless.

I can (and have) fully saturated a 100Mbps link using just 2 downloads.
Then a few minutes later pushed through 300K downloads without getting
more than a minor bump in its capacity.

Size and Speed of each transaction is what matters for saturation. thats
where delay pools comes in. It throttles the per-second size of bandwith
each client consumes. Slowing down only the heavy users.

Delay pools even works when the users try to abuse things with a
download accelerator program. Under your counting design these users
consume N slots and leave others unable to connect. With pools all their
attempts count against one pool, other clients get a fair(er) share.

> Delay_pools seems to be based upon throttling the speed rather than
> limiting the number of concurrent up/downloads. Can Squid limit the
> number of concurrent down/uploads?
>
> Running 3.5.5 on Windows.

Windows has a limit of 2K FDs which does that in a way. 2K means a
maximum capacity of only between 400-900 client connections in total.