[squid-users] reverse proxies and Host request header

Julianne Bielski bielsk at us.ibm.com
Fri Jun 12 15:49:38 UTC 2015

With virtual hosting, the client is asking for a virtual origin server's
host and DNS enables the ip address for the physical host to respond. The
virtual host still sees "its" hostname in the host header, not the physical
host's.

With a reverse proxy, the backend origin server doesn't see its Host name,
it sees the proxy's, even though the proxy is an http client with respect
to the origin server.