[squid-users] reverse proxies and Host request header

Julianne Bielski bielsk at us.ibm.com
Fri Jun 12 14:08:59 UTC 2015

I have a general question about the use of the http Host request header by
reverse proxies.

As I understand it, the Host request header is used by transparent forward
proxies as a way to route a request to the correct
origin server since, unlike with an explicit proxy, the host is not
included in the URI portion of the http method line.

However, reverse proxies are always "transparent" from the perspective of
the client and the Host header is often used by the proxy
to map to the correct back end origin server.

I also think they usually pass the Host header as-is to the origin server.
This last
piece puzzles me because it means that the origin server is being given a
different host name than itself in the header. Is this
behavior "correct"? Does it ever cause problems?

J. Bielski