[squid-users] netflix

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Mon Jun 8 08:04:40 UTC 2015

On 6/06/2015 6:43 p.m., Alex Samad wrote:
> Hi
>
> I remember seeing some rules for caching microsoft updates.  Is there
> anything special to cache netflix ?

Last I heard netflix were using RTMP (not HTTP) to deliver their video
streams and the web portions were setup to cache properly.

Caching netflix has not had much of a peep from anyone in a long time.
So I assume its still the case or if they moved to HTTP the videos are
properly done.

FYI: the issue with Microsoft Updates is Squid lack of Range/206 object
caching, the traffic itself is perfectly cacheable once you get around that.
 YouTube/GoogleVideo is actively hostile against HTTP caching. Flash
based services were cloned off it which sadly gives video caching in
general a needlessly bad reputation.