[squid-users] Website causing 3.5.5 squid crash

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Mon Jun 8 07:55:40 UTC 2015

On 7/06/2015 4:49 a.m., Mike wrote:
> Running Scientific Linux 6.6 (based on CentOS), compiled squid 3.5.5
> with no errors.
> Issue happens with both squid 3.5.5, and the newer 3.5.5-20150528-r13841.
> Starting squid service and running for a while, any attempt to access a
> website like www.nwfdailynews.com causes squid to crash and restart. The
> associated squid log entries from the same time squid crashes, seems to
> be several "TCP_SWAPFAIL_MISS" at that time:
>
> 1433608644.053    117 192.168.2.110 TCP_SWAPFAIL_MISS/200 17246 GET
> http://launch.newsinc.com/77/css/NdnEmbed.css -
> HIER_DIRECT/184.51.234.134 text/css

SWAPFAIL is either a disk I/O error, or the file has been erased from
disk without going through Squid making the cache index entry pointing
nowhere.

>From a service point of view thay are nearly harmless, though possibly a
sign that you need to check the HDD integrity.

> Other normal use including facebook and other website do not have any
> problems, so it has to be something relating to this site setup causing
> the crash. We are using this in a testing server for now but hoping to
> roll out to production level used by a few thousand people.

That domain has bigger problems than what you see.

redbot.org shows its origin server is not generating Vary headers
properly. Which means visitors to the website that go through a proxy
(any HTTP proxy) will be getting randomly broken responses.

Furthermore, it appears to be served up to the public through a CDN
built from Squid proxies. So that is affecting *every* visitor.