[squid-users] error windbind

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Thu Jul 30 20:58:23 UTC 2015

On 31/07/2015 2:49 a.m., Posta Esterna wrote:
> Thanx..
>
> I don't understand a something...
>
> Where do i need to find Samba? On the Proxy or on the AD Server?

AD server is the server. Samba contains parts that are clients. Winbind,
nmblookup, smbclient, and the ntlm_auth helper are the client parts most
frequently used with Squid. Which one(s) depend on the auth login and
group helpers you want to use.

So you need at least those parts of Samba installed on the Squid
machine. At least the client parts of it.

> I don't think i have to create a Samba server on the Proxy... is it true?

I believe that is correct.

> So how can i tell Squid to connect to the right Samba Server?

Squid uses a Samba helper to connect to AD server. It is told which AD
domain/realm to lookup by the users credentials token. You may (or may
not) need to configure the helper with what domains/realms it is to use
and where the server for each auth domain/realm are.