[squid-users] Possible bug in 3.5.5 or a store change from 2.7?

Tory M Blue tmblue at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 22:43:53 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 12:54 PM, Amos Jeffries <squid3 at treenet.co.nz>
wrote:

> On 29/07/2015 5:53 a.m., Tory M Blue wrote:
>

> >  I just reproduced this by hand, using an HTTP sniffer tool.  I requested
> > the same URL twice, with about a 0.25 second delay between fetches, and
> the
> > 2nd attempt was ALSO A MISS.  Then I waited 1 second and tried a 3rd
> time,
> > and it was FINALLY a hit.
>
> Had the first request finished being delivered to your testing tool
> before the second request was sent?

Yes our testing is completely sequential meaning the connection has to
complete before we launch another, even by hand.

> > Squid v3 seems to have changed the way it stores objects.  Maybe it is
> > doing some sort of "asynchronous" background store now, so if you send in
> > sequential requests without a delay between, it may not actually have
> > finished storing it yet, so it doesn't report a "hit".  Meaning, the
> first
> > "miss" response may have fired off a thread to store the object, and not
> > doing it in the main thread anymore like in v2, if you get my meaning.
>
> Squid-3 in-transit objects are not listed as existing in cache_mem
> storage until they have completely (and successfully) finished their
> first use.
>

> You can configure "collapsed_forwarding on" to enable the Squid-2.7
> behaviour. Treating the in-transit objects list as if it were another
> cache area.
>

> The document cite this is quite a bit different and not something I want
to embark upon.

> Timing between *completion* of the first request and starting of the
> second is the critical. If the first request has not finished, theres no
> hope of a HIT.
>
> Also size of memory cache relative to the churn currently going on also
> matters. If you wait too long between the test requests it will be
> pushed out and get a MISS again anyway. But I dont think that is a
> factor with 250ms being your timing.

Again completely synchronous, something is not happening as it should under
a busy condition, we tested this as far out as 5 seconds and still got a
miss.  We have added "5" retries to our monitor, but I do think something
is  a miss (no pun intended).  Single client hitting a single server in a
synchronous manner, should allow for a pretty quick cache hit, but it's
not.

my high/low water marks are so

cache_swap_high 90

cache_swap_low 80

My space available is so

/dev/ram0              17G   14G  2.3G  86% /cache01

Any other data I could grab from the stats that would help. I do believe
something is not quite right but we have ways to get around it for now,

Thanks Amons

Tory