[squid-users] dns failover failing with 3.4.7

Mike mcsnv96 at afo.net
Mon Jul 27 20:38:31 UTC 2015

Running into an issue, using the squid.conf entry
dns_nameservers 72.x.x.x 72.x.y.y

These are different servers (under our control) for the purpose of
filtering than listed in resolv.conf (which are out of our control, used
for server IP routing by upstream host).

The problem we found like this weekend is if the primary listed dns
server is unavailable, squid fails to use the secondary listed server.
Instead it displays the "unable to connect" type messages with all
websites.

How do we fix this so if primary fails it goes to secondary (and
possibly tertiary)?

Thanks in advance
Mike