[squid-users] cannot leave empty workers

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Fri Jul 24 22:07:18 UTC 2015

On 25/07/2015 7:24 a.m., Alex Wu wrote:
> If I define 4 workers, and use the following way to allocate workers:
>
> if ${process_number} = 4
> //do something
> else
> endif

The "else" means the wrapped config bit applies to *all* workers and
processes of Squid except the one in the if-condition (process #4). It
is optional.

if ${process_number} = 4
 # do something
endif

It does not even do anything in the code except invert a bitmask. An
"endif" then erases that bitmask. So an empty "else" is effectively
doing nothing at all.
 Just like one would expect reading that config.

The bug is elsewhere (sorry for the pun).

> I leave other workers as empty after else, then we encounter this error:
>
> FATAL: Ipc::Mem::Segment::open failed to shm_open(/squid-ssl_session_cache.shm): (2) No such file or directory
>
> If I fill one more workers,especially ${process_number} = 1, then squid can launch workers now,

Was that really the full config?

I dont see "workers 4" in there at all and something must have been
configured to use the shared memory TLS/SSL session cache.