[squid-users] AUFS vs. DISKS

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Wed Jul 15 12:04:19 UTC 2015

On 15/07/2015 11:41 p.m., Stakres wrote:
> Hi Amos,
>
> Sorry but the Rock mode is totaly bugged, the worst mode to use here.
> We did tons of tests, small, medium and big rock cache, all crash process
> after process. We have definitively abandonned the Rock mode while it'll be
> the same results.

This seems to be specific to some use, but not others. Rock is young yet
so not all use-cases are stabilized. (Particularly if you're talking
about the Squid-3.4 in Debian's.)

Specifics about those issues would help a lot if you are able to assist
tracking that down.

> So, it seems we'll have to switch all boxes from diskd to aufs, but I think
> we could survive
> Anyway, we liked the diskd because we see good stability, but the HITed
> objects are really too slow, all my clients are complaining, that's why we
> did many tests yesterday and we found these times...

Thanks for that. The AUFS results bear out what I know of it. But I am
quite surprised you got diskd going that fast at all. What physical disk
backend are you using?