[squid-users] Is it possible to tunnelize http traffic?

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Tue Jul 14 07:48:16 UTC 2015

On 14/07/2015 8:58 a.m., Sebastian Goicochea wrote:
> Hello, I'm trying to improve the bypass system we use in our servers.
> When a site is not shown as it should, or something is broken because of
> a poor server's side implementation, we bypass traffic to that server at
> ebtables level. This works just as expected, squid never "sees" this
> traffic, but when you have problems with some site using akamai's cdn ..
> bypassing that network impacts negatively on squid's performance.
> Is it possible to tunnelize (as in TCP_TUNNEL/200) some arbitrary
> traffic? URL regex would be awesome. Tried googling it but could only
> find https related material.

No, TUNNEL means sending a CONNECT message to an upstream proxy - HTTP
forbids sending that to origin servers.

With "transparent interception" the client_dst_passthru feature of Squid
is what adds the transparent part. Relaying traffic to the same IP:port
the client was trying to reach. It is done by default on intercepted
traffic.
<http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/config/client_dst_passthru/>