[squid-users] Transparent proxy before NAT

John Pearson johnpearson555 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 20:15:27 UTC 2015

Hi Everyone,

My setup is: Internet <--> Squid-eth0 <--> Squid-eth1 <--> Router <-->
Devices

Currently the Router is doing NAT and DHCP for the devices connected to it.
Squid is in transparent mode. I set up a bridge ( br0). I set up the
ebtables and iptables. It works but I want to figure out a way without
having to configure Squid server or Router with hardcoded addresses.

I have it working with either setup:
1. Remove the bridge ( br0) and setup the Squid server eth1 as a static IP
address and set Squid server IP address as gateway in Router settings.
2. Since Squid server is in bridge mode, I can hard code IP address in a
Squid ACL as all traffic appears to come this IP address from the router.

I want a way to do this without any setup, basically to take a Squid box
and place it before a Router. Is there a way to do this ?

A few ideas that might be wrong:
1. In bridge mode, http_access allow CURRENTIPADDRESS  ( CURRENTIPADDRESS
is the dynamic IP address provided the ISP ) Is there a way to obtain this
in the squid.conf file ?
2. Setup a DHCP server alongside Squid server and have Squid(DHCP) <-->
Router(DHCP, NAT) and have same dhcp address given to the Router in
squid.conf as http_access allow localnet

Thanks in advance!