[squid-users] proxy pac files issues

Jason Haar Jason_Haar at trimble.com
Sat Jan 17 21:23:32 UTC 2015

I just tested your WPAD script using the wonderful "pactester" and it
seems fine - it returned DIRECT/PROXY exactly as you intended. ie
there's nothing wrong with that WPAD

You say the clients seem to be going through the proxy for even internal
hosts? So that smells like WPAD being fundamentally broken - which
doesn't correlate with the above test result. So look again with a
packet sniffer. Bring up wireshark on a client and start the browser, go
to an internal site, stop the sniffer and review the download of the
WPAD file. I assume you are relying on DNS to point client at the WPAD,
but could you be a Windows shop and you've forgotten you also had WPAD
via DHCP and that points at a different/old WPAD file (ie one without
exceptions)?

Also test with Firefox: it has the "purest" WPAD support IMHO. If it
works in Firefox and not in MSIE/Chrome, then it's not a WPAD problem
(I'm not sure about me mentioning Chrome, it's just that I know Google
designed Chrome to use the same OS settings that MSIE does when it can -
so any bug/issue with those libraries could affect Chrome if they affect
MSIE)

--
Cheers

Jason Haar
Corporate Information Security Manager, Trimble Navigation Ltd.
Phone: +1 408 481 8171