[squid-users] Squid 3.4.10 RPMs release for CentOS 32 and 64 bit.

Eliezer Croitoru eliezer at ngtech.co.il
Wed Jan 14 16:39:24 UTC 2015

Published at: http://www1.ngtech.co.il/wpe/?p=8

I am happy to release the new RPMs of squid 3.4.10 and 3.5.0.4 beta for
Centos 6.6 64bit and 32bit .

The new release includes couple bug fixes and improvements.
The links to the RPMs are at the bottom of the article.

“What if a human would act as a proxy server?”

One of the hardest jobs on the planet earth would be a “proxy” that
needs to connect between a requester and the right response. The proxy
would need first to identify the request and understand it properly and
then needs to decide what to lookup in the database for a corresponding
response.
It's a very messy job since the source IP and all the request
characteristics should be answered. In many cases the request will not
give enough information about the wanted response and the user will need
to request another time for the requested data. I would assume that it
would require some buildings to be populated with lots of “proxies” to
fulfill all humans web requests. But the reality is not that far from
this fantasy.
If you would look at the world you would see that lots of humans just
act as a simple proxy between someone to somebody else or something
else. A nice example would be when you go to a wood store to buy some
woods for a fire. If this would be your first time you would not know
the prices and wood kinds while the wood-shop guy would know more then
you. He then acts as a proxy between your mind and his to understand the
different kinds of wood that can fulfill your needs while giving you the
prices.
And while writing I am thinking about it again, and one of the hardest
jobs there are in the market is the “Match Maker”. Just to illustrate
that a human would have been a proxy and a “Match Maker”. Actually a
“Match Maker” job would be to take two different minds and put them
together while understanding them both enough to make them both happy
about the meetings.
So how would a “Match Maker” would act if he was a proxy? He would need
to fetch or get from the clients information about their wishes and
analyze their requests to find a matching pair. From the requester side
he needs something, a companion.
But from the “Match Maker” point of view there is a need to actually
find a match which would stick for a very long time and that would not
cause harm while building love and harmony. I am not a “Match Maker” but
I do believe that a simple piece of software can help the human which
actually needs help from others to do other tasks which a proxy cannot
do good enough.

* Any notes and comments are wanted and welcome!

For this release I am attaching a video link about DDos and the
vulnerabilities of the Linux kernel:

- DDoS protection using Netfilter iptables from Jesper Dangaard Brouer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_8ic1AaRso

Or a local mirror and presentation file at:
http://www1.ngtech.co.il/squid/videos/Jesper Dangaard Brouer - DDoS
protection using Netfilter_iptables_BklSqr9t4uA.mp4

http://www1.ngtech.co.il/squid/videos/DDoS_protection_Jesper_Brouer/iptables-ddos-mitigation_JesperBrouer.pdf

This release repository is at:
http://www1.ngtech.co.il/rpm/centos/6/x86_64/

This release files are:
http://www1.ngtech.co.il/repo/centos/6/x86_64/squid-3.4.10-1.el6.x86_64.rpm
http://www1.ngtech.co.il/repo/centos/6/x86_64/squid-helpers-3.4.10-1.el6.x86_64.rpm
http://www1.ngtech.co.il/repo/centos/6/x86_64/squid-debuginfo-3.4.10-1.el6.x86_64.rpm

The beta repository was move to:
http://www1.ngtech.co.il/repo/centos/6/beta/x86_64/

The beta release files are:
http://www1.ngtech.co.il/repo/centos/6/beta/x86_64/squid-3.5.0.4-1.el6.x86_64.rpm
http://www1.ngtech.co.il/repo/centos/6/beta/x86_64/squid-helpers-3.5.0.4-1.el6.x86_64.rpm
http://www1.ngtech.co.il/repo/centos/6/beta/x86_64/squid-debuginfo-3.5.0.4-1.el6.x86_64.rpm

To Each and everyone of them there is an *asc* file which contains MD5
SHA1 SHA2 SHA256 SHA384 SHA512 TIGER hashes.

All The Bests,
Eliezer Croitoru