[squid-users] Traffic prioritizing

Dr. Lars Hanke lars at lhanke.de
Tue Jan 13 14:44:17 UTC 2015

Hi Eliezer:

> There are couple aspects to the issue.
> The options are:
> - TOS marking of specific connections
> - TPROXY(leaving the src IP the same)
> - delay_pools
>
> If you have a shaping setup in place or device that is capable of
> traffic shaping based on TOS marking you can take a look at this option.

TOS marking essentially will mark the GET/POST requests, right? However,
the size/number of these requests does not correlate well with the
download bandwidth. 100 AJAX requests may be much less than a single GET
for some PDF.

Setting up a TPROXY configuration might be interesting, since my current
transparent proxy appears to have issues with some special devices.

However, it all boils down to limit the outgoing bandwidth. Of course I
could police incoming packets, but when they arrive the bandwidth is
wasted already. If dropped, the server will resend and eat my bandwidth
again.

So my idea was that Squid should have all data required about streams
any may be the most suitable instance to take action, e.g. delay ACK and
new requests. delay_pools in general look like the right choice, but I
could not see a function similar to HTB or HFSC, which both would do the
trick.

So it could be that I think too complicated, or that I miss something,
or that there is simply no solution, yet.

If the latter is true, I'll try experimenting with the TOS solution.
Joined with outgoing ACK throtteling it might work.

Appreciating your comments,
  - lars.