[squid-users] Memory Leak Squid 3.4.9 on FreeBSD 10.0 x64

Doug Sampson dougs at dawnsign.com
Thu Jan 8 19:10:25 UTC 2015

> Hi,
>
> I have the similar problem on FreeBSD 10.1-STABLE #1 r275861 with
> squid-3.4.10. I also applied MEMPOOLS=1 when starting squid. I
> experience the process slowing down and unacceptable performance.
>
> Squid is configured to use kerberos and ntlm authentication and lap
> group authentication. other settings:
>
> cache_replacement_policy heap LFUDA
> cache_mem 4096 MB
> maximum_object_size 32 MB
> cache_dir diskd /usr/local/squid/cache 32768 32 256
>
> I have seen the following errors in cache.log:
>
> FATAL: Received Segment Violation...dying.
> FATAL: Received Bus Error...dying.
>
> after this the squid restarts. The system has 10GB of memory and is
> working as internal cache for ~600 users.
>
> Please point me in the right direction. I have no problem running
> squid33-3.3.13 on FreeBSD 9.3-STABLE #0 r270210.
>
> Thank you very much.
>
> Regards,
>
> lk

Man, I empathize with you. Have you tried running Squid 3.4.x on FreeBSD 9.3? Sometimes I wonder if it's FreeBSD 10.x that's causing the issue...

I tried the shell variable MEMPOOLS=1 and that quickly made the situation a lot worse. Swap space would get filled up very quickly and the system would slow down quickly before crashing.

Any other ideas?

~Doug