[squid-users] Squid 3 SSL bump: Google drive application could not connect

Marcus Kool marcus.kool at urlfilterdb.com
Mon Jan 5 15:15:19 UTC 2015

On 01/05/2015 12:38 PM, Douglas Davenport wrote:
> Marcus, not to distract from the very important main points being discussed here but I have to question your last line:
> "i.e. there is not yet an interface for this type of traffic inspection."
>
> Is that not the whole point of Squid's ICAP interface and HTTPS bumping? Or do you just mean that ufdbguard doesn't utilize that yet. If so you might want to consider adding that functionality...

ICAP does
    HTTP filtering based on URL and HTTP content
    port-443 filtering based on FQDN  (ICAP server only receives "CONNECT <FQDN>:443")
    port-443 filtering based on HTTP content _if_ Squid uses sslbump

ICAP does _not_
    port-443 filtering for non-HTTP protocols

ICAP was designed for HTTP-based content modification.
There is no industry standard for filtering non-HTTP data.
I have discussed this subject twice with the Squid development team
but there is currently no sponsor to implement a new protocol to filter
non-HTTP data in Squid.

Marcus