[squid-users] Squid 3 SSL bump: Google drive application could not connect

Yuri Voinov yvoinov at gmail.com
Sun Jan 4 21:29:31 UTC 2015

As I can see, we have two major problems with SSL Bump now.

1. Stupid apps and it's stupid developers - like ICQ and other stupid IM
- which is hope 443 port is never be blocked due to using for
logons/internet banking etc.
This stupid way broke standards (?) and make us crazy. Now single
solution is catch them manually and pass it without bumping. This is the
simplest problem. And I hope it will be solved in core - i.e. in Squid
directly.

2. SSL Pinned sites. We cannot do with them anything excluding sniff it
and pass by IP without bump.

First problems seems to solve easy. Either by helper, or by squid - no
matter. It's really simple. Just check SSL cert on server side - and
make decision - to bump, or not to bump.

The second problem seems difficult and now I can't see any reasonable
solution, excluding sniffer/manual add to acl.

Any ideas? Will be write helper?

WBR, Yuri

05.01.2015 2:17, Douglas Davenport пишет:
> I saw a very similar feature in ufdbGuard which is a URL filter implemented as a Squid Redirector. They
have a feature which probes the destination server for a valid HTTPS
cert in parallel to the user's connection and terminates it if it turns
out not to be a valid HTTPS cert. Their code is open source, maybe this
could be helpful in creating such a helper?