[squid-users] Remote configuration management software for managing Squid proxies?

Greg longbeakedechidna1 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 11:39:09 UTC 2015

Hi all,

I'm a ~beginner sysadmin starting managing a flock of (10+) existing
Squid proxies in different VPS companies. Right now it's a mix of
different OSes and Squid versions, some of them are rather old, and
all is managed manually over SSH - I'd very much like to roll out a
better set of proxies, installing and managing them from a central
interface.

I know there are configuration management software (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_open-source_configuration_management_software
), just don't know their limitations - which is usually well hidden
and will pop up when you're already in neck deep. Most of them don't
seem to give full access to the Squid config file anyway.

I'm hoping some of you already manages Squid proxies from a central
interface and can share your experiences.

What I'm looking for:
- Free and preferably FLOSS, being maintained
- Can pick up existing machines using different distributions and
versions (Juju fails here), playing well with our changes done on the
servers (no need to revert to stored config if config changes on the
server)
- Can manage the full Squid config incl. eg. refresh_pattern and
httpd_suppress_version_string without having to learn and write
Python/Ruby/... code (Chef-Puppet-Ansible-Salt-OPSI seem to fail here?
It seems these were not designed for this scenario and just support
the most important settings)
- Can read (!) and write config files on the server
- Can restart services and show their status
- Can list and install packages
- Preferably has a GUI, even better if there's one for Windows

Any tips and experience with some related software?

Best regards,
Greg