[squid-users] Tracking down cache MISSes

Greg longbeakedechidna1 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 10:51:39 UTC 2015

On 25 February 2015 at 10:48, Yuri Voinov <yvoinov at gmail.com> wrote:

> 25.02.15 16:46, Greg пишет:

[...]
>>> For the record this appears to be bug 3806 which was fixed in 3.3.12 just
>>> over a year ago. 3.3.8 is just too old by ~4 months.

[...]
>> Now that I understand the problem I can think about a possible solution:
>> - Try to convince the Ubuntu 14 LTS maintainers to merge the fixes (
>> http://bugs.squid-cache.org/attachment.cgi?id=2854&action=diff and
>> http://bugs.squid-cache.org/attachment.cgi?id=2969&action=diff ). Not
>> sure about my chances ;)
>
> Try it. They just men the same as we.

Got some fresh infos!

The good news: Ubuntu acknowledges this as a bug important enough to
merge it to their code.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/squid3/+bug/1336742

The bad news: noone has stepped up so far to do the merging. Also, I
was told their workflow is like they merge it to Ubuntu 15, then it's
merged back to 14 - also, 15 has entered feature freeze so a "freeze
exception" should be raised (which would likely be granted in this
case, moar in https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FeatureFreeze ). I haven't
programmed in C/C++ for a good while and don't have Squid programming
experience anyway, also don't know the workflow, so I can't do it
myself I'm afraid. It seems that what's needed is communication with
Ubuntu maintainers, a merge against 15, maybe with some regression
tests (?), a merge against 14 (or is it automerged? dunno), and
basically pushing this all the way so the Ubuntu Server flagship
version expected to be widely used for the next 5 years would have a
supported Squid version that'd actually cache HTML-JS-CSS too. (Oh I
wish!)

Is there a good soul who'd be willing to do this now?

Optionally I can offer a bit of a monetary compensation (yea that's
cold hard cash) for you or the FLOSS project/charity of your choice,
or that much of consultation/work for you in my area (web programming
and startups), or some work on the Squid documentation (yes I'm
looking at you debug_options).

Best regards,
Greg