[squid-users] Curious about: ipcacheParse: No Address records

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Thu Feb 26 04:58:19 UTC 2015

On 26/02/2015 2:23 p.m., Dan Charlesworth wrote:
> Hey y’all
>
> I don’t remember this being covered before…
>
> I see this error (warning?) pretty frequently for hostnames which I can always resolve fine if I try them on the same server with dig or nslookup.

Are you sure you are resolving them in the same way Squid is?

dig in particular will send a request and does the recursion lookups
itself. Whereas Squid has to work with the first response the NS(s)
provide for each for A and AAAA queries ... and *will* cache that
response for the TTL provided in the packet.

You may also need to enable EDNS0 advertisements in Squid to receive
back large sets of IP addresses from some servers (and avoid TCP
failover on others).
<http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/config/dns_packet_max/>

> What’s the deal? And what does the client experience in the browser when one of these occurs?

Something along the lines of:
"
ERROR: The requested URL could not be retrieved

The following error was encountered while trying to retrieve the URL: ...

Unable to determine IP address from host name <domain>

The DNS server returned:
 No Address records

This means that the cache was not able to resolve the hostname presented
in the URL. Check if the address is correct.
"

... unless they are using one of the browsers the replace proxy error
reports with their own "friendly" pages (MSIE and Chrome). Then its some
obscure error code label or number. Or if it was a javascript XHR
request it may be in a hard-to-see popup that disappears quickly -
leaving them thinking nothing happened.