[squid-users] Tracking down cache MISSes

Greg longbeakedechidna1 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 16:31:06 UTC 2015

>> Hi all,
>>
>> so, there's my proxy problem I couldn't crack, even after spending
>> 2+ days tweaking-googling-debugging. :(
>>
>> The problem: my _new_ Squid installation (Ubuntu 14 LTS with Squid
>> 3.3.8) won't cache most pages the old Squid does (old Fedora with
>> Squid 3.1.15).
>
> Both versions are antique.
>
> Man, you change one rancid meat to another rancid meat.
>
> Just FYI - current Squid version at least 3.4.12. Oh, this branch is
> already deprecated... shit, current version is 3.5.2!
>
> This must be your starting point.

Thanks for your comment. Please note that this version is what's
supported by Ubuntu LTS for the next 5 years. This happens with all
packages - LTS maintainers choose a stable version and merge security
updates into it, so it stays secure and needs no config updates for 5
years. This is just we need, and it has worked well for Ubuntu 10
(squid 2.7.STABLE7-1ubuntu12.6 is still being supported until this
April!), but it has EOL now and we have to upgrade.

I'd very much like to stay inside this safe zone with our servers. I
understand that others might not do so - please understand some people
do though.

Best regards,
Greg