[squid-users] Log proxy hostname along with HTTP access URI

Peter Oruba peter at decycive.com
Tue Feb 24 14:04:52 UTC 2015

Hello everybody,

I’d like to distinguish multiple clients that are behind NAT from Squid’s perspective. Proxy authentication or sessions are not an option for different reasons and the idea that came up was to assign each client a unique hostname through which Squid would be addressed (e.g. UUID1.proxy.example.com <http://uuid1.proxy.example.com/> and UUID2.proxy.example.com <http://uuid2.proxy.example.com/>) A DNS wildcard entry *.proxy.example.com <http://proxy.example.com/> would make sure each proxy referral points to the same machine. Question: Is there a way to let Squid log the DNS name through which a client referred to it? I was not able to find any example in this regard and I assume that the proxy hostname is „lost“ after the client's DNS lookup and that the client-proxy connection is established.

Thanks,
Peter