[squid-users] request_body_max_size on transparent proxy

Mike Mitchell Mike.Mitchell at sas.com
Mon Feb 23 22:01:02 UTC 2015

I'm trying to POST large files (>1MB) through a squid 3.5.2 proxy set up to intercept connections.

The client is including an 'Expect: 100-continue' header, and sends all headers in a single network packet.
POSTs of content smaller than 1MB go through, but larger POSTs do not.
The client's TCP connection is being reset without squid sending any sort of error page.
Nothing is logged in squid -- not in the access log, not in the cache log.  It's as if that request never happened.
The client just gets a closed connection.

I'm running with the default 'request_body_max_size', it is not specified in my configuration.
That should mean "unlimited" for the request body.

If I configure the client to explicitly use the same proxy on a different, non-transparent port, the large POSTs go through correctly.  It is as if request_body_max_size does not function on a port marked 'transparent'.

Has anyone else seen this problem?
I've found one reference to it in my searches, http://nerdanswer.com/answer.php?q=336233

Mike Mitchell