[squid-users] Is Squid can shutdown unused idle redirector's children?

Marcus Kool marcus.kool at urlfilterdb.com
Tue Feb 17 14:29:23 UTC 2015

On 02/17/2015 11:30 AM, Yuri Voinov wrote:
> Also, gents.
>
> ufdbGuard is cool, but:
>
> - Where is good documentation? I found only one connon PDF. No performance recommendations, no administrator's guide - this good piece of software not so trivial as squidGuard, i.e., I don't know, how
> to support only used blocking categories databases without rebuilding them all, no concepts guide - the architecture of solution is not obvious. May be I need glasses, but Reference manual + man pages
> is not enough for average SA's. Not at all will read sources.
>
> - AFAIK, it uses daemon-centric architecture. Well, but different OS uses different startup facilities. I want to have possibility to tune it up by myself or installation must correct do it on target
> OS. And please note, that not only Linux existing in the world. ;) SystemV init was deprecated in some systems years ago. ;) And will be good to document all of this in installation guide.
>
> Did you agree?

Let me give you some pointers:

http://www.urlfilterdb.com/files/downloads/ReferenceManual.pdf

The architecture is in section 3, Architecture.
This section also explains what is a URL redirector and how URL redirectors sit between Squid and the ufdbguardd daemon.

Performance recommendations are in section 11, Solaris specifics in section 11.5
If you have some feedback regarding what might be added, you are invited to supply it and I will add it to the Reference Manual.

In addition, section 6.12.2 Large System Configuration, recommends to use concurrency for the URL redirectors.

Note that ufdbguard does not need much tuning: it can do 50,000 URL verifications per second
on a single Intel Xeon 2420v1 core which is 10x more than the number of URL request per second that Squid will process.

Marcus