[squid-users] Is Squid can shutdown unused idle redirector's children?

Antony Stone Antony.Stone at squid.open.source.it
Tue Feb 17 11:28:33 UTC 2015

On Tuesday 17 Feb 2015 at 11:00, Marcus Kool wrote:

> On 02/16/2015 11:43 PM, Amos Jeffries wrote:
> > PS. Marcus, perhaps you should go on search around to find distro
> > maintainers who are publishing SG and convince them to replace the
> > defaults with ufdbguard. I have to do that periodically to clear up old
> > Squid versions being forced on users. It helps to find out what bugs
> > they are patching or struggling with silently as well.

> For reasons unknown I am not very good in convincing other people what
> they should do :-)
> Perhaps it is better to wait for the time that maintainers and admins
> see for themselves what is best.

Hm, the problem I see with that is that package maintainers are not always
admins of the systems using those packages, therefore they're not the people
who run into the problems caused by outdated packages.

Lots of system admins (the ones who don't appear on this list, for example)
just assume "it's the current software being provided by my distro, therefore
it must be the one recommended by the developers", therefore they never find
out that the developers of the software recommend doing something new, while
the package maintainers have never moved on from old versions or old
techniques.

I do think we need to inform package maintainers that what they're doing is no
longer what the developers recommend, to try to close the gap between the
people who start from "here's what I get from my distro" and "but this is the
right way to do things" (which we see often enough on this and similar lists).

When the package maintainer is a developer, this situation generally sorts
itself out pretty quickly, but this is not often (AFAIK) the case, so
announcing the current recommendations to the people runnning the distros can
make a big difference.

Regards,

Antony.

--
Wanted: telepath.   You know where to apply.

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.