[squid-users] Is Squid can shutdown unused idle redirector's children?

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Tue Feb 17 01:43:18 UTC 2015

On 17/02/2015 1:30 p.m., Eliezer Croitoru wrote:
> Hey Marcus,
>
> Great to hear about it!!
> I must say that the mentioned issues are the killers for squidGuard
> usage in many systems.

Yeah and one of the many reasons its effectively a dead project now.
IIRC, Shalla were going to maintain SG for a while but with all the
useful functionality being duplicated in ufdbGuard (amongst others)
and/or Squid itself there is not much point in keeping the old helper
around.

It has got so many legacy installs depending on it and tutorials
encouraging people to use it even today. Its proving hard to oust the
dear old zombie. :-(

PS. Marcus, perhapse you should go on search around to find distro
maintainers who are publishing SG and convince them to replace the
defaults with ufdbguard. I have to do that periodically to clear up old
Squid versions being forced on users. It helps to find out what bugs
they are patching or struggling with silently as well.
 Making the upgrade/switch as seamless as possible is important too.