[squid-users] Is Squid can shutdown unused idle redirector's children?

Eliezer Croitoru eliezer at ngtech.co.il
Mon Feb 16 22:00:34 UTC 2015

Hey Yuri,

OK I have seen something...
Now we might need also the virtual memory which might be vsz.
And the cachemgr output is not from squidview..
The last image I have seen from cachemgr was much helpful(with 10 helpers).

 From what I have seen until now squidGuard uses about 13 MB of ram
constantly.
If this is what it costs to run a squidGuard helper you should consider
that it has some peak usage time and lower bound usage time and you will
need to calculate how much helpers you need to provide smooth surfing on
peak usage time.
You should consider this peak usage as the required memory from
squidGuard for smooth operation.
Since not you and not will be able to change the basic memory
footprint(required) for squidGuard you will need to somehow decide if
you require a much efficient software or to adjust your system accordingly.

I would agree that 100 * 13 MB of ram means about 1.3 GB of ram usage
and might not be acceptable for a "simple" filtering mechanism.

The main reasons for the unknown need for 100 helpers might be since it
was not designed to be used this way.
I must say that squidGuard is a very good piece of software but it lacks
couple things which might make it un-usable for some if not many systems
and maybe including yours.
Indeed in your case there is a chance that if you will even install a
full blown DB that will be stored all in ram and you will write a helper
that will mimic squidguard functionality\logic with concurrency support
you will get much less memory consumption with much more efficient
request handling.

It is much smarter to write a helper which will have a overall
efficiency mark on it then to add into squid something that might not be
even needed in the first place.

For now before writing any helper etc I will want to see the cachemgr
interface output for the "redirector" option in two cases:
- startup
- after midnight when there are lots of helpers running under squid

You can see that squid since version 3.2 squid offers access to the
squid cache manager interface using a simple url such as:
"http://filter:3128/squid-internal-mgr/redirector"
(using the visible_hostname and the forward proxy port of squid)

All The Bests,
Eliezer