[squid-users] Calculate time spent on website (per ip address)

Ron Wheeler rwheeler at artifact-software.com
Tue Feb 10 22:14:30 UTC 2015

You could process the logs and set some rules about what period between
transactions should count as a single visit.
ie if ip  123.123.1.23 made requests at
9:01
9:03
9:15
9:50
9:51 and
9:54,
is this one visit of 53 minutes (total time 53 minutes) or
3 visits of 2 minutes, 0 minutes and 4 minutes (total time 6 minutes) or
2 visits of 14 minutes and  4 minutes (total time 18 minutes)

Each of these calculations is defensible and easy to do with a rather
trivial program that reads the log.

Ron

On 10/02/2015 4:50 PM, Luis Miguel Silva wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I was wondering if there is a built in feature in Squid to calculate
> the time spent on a website, per ip address (e.g. 32 minutes between
> 12pm and 1pm, 5 minutes between 1pm and 2pm)? And, if not, how would
> you do it?
>
> I immediately thought about using the log files for this BUT, because
> we only log individual connections, how would you guys conclude the
> amount of time spent per website? Would you, for instance, for each 5
> minutes, add 5 minute chunks IF there was data flowing between the 5
> minutes?
>
> That would work but...Isn't there a more elegant way of doing this?
>
> Thanks,
> Luis

Ron Wheeler
President