[squid-users] Hypothetically comparing SATA\SAS to NAS\SAN for squid.

Eliezer Croitoru eliezer at ngtech.co.il
Thu Feb 5 15:51:40 UTC 2015

Hey Omid,

Before buying any NAS or SAN solution you will need to take in account
couple things.
Squid has an in memory objects index which requires ram and reduces the
amount of in memory objects you can store.
You will need to first verify that your current machine memory usage can
allow you to grow your storage.
250GB*4 can store lots of small objects and there is a chance that you
will want to utilize more then what your machine can take.

I do not remember the exact numbers for the right calculation so others
can help with that.

The specific NAS\SAN solution you mentioned is good and it uses windows
storage server and the best choice of use with this solution is using ISCSI.
 From what I have seen it is using VHD files and not bare disks for
anything.
The main thing about this storage device is the ease of use.
If it fits your needs and requirements then great.

Another benefit is the HOT-SWAP bay but you will need to verify first
how the RAID solution is implemented, in the OS level or another.

I do not know what are the local prices for hardware and software at
your place but I know that HP has microservers with a similar intel ATOM
cpu and more ram in other prices(the OS costs about 220$).

RAM is important for storage solutions of any kind,type and OS!!!

For squid a NAS(NFS\CIFS) needs to be tested more before production
usage and a SAN is preferable.

Have you considered using a more recent version of squid? What OS are
you running?

Eliezer