[squid-users] benefits of using ext_kerberos_ldap_group_acl instead of ext_ldap_group_acl

Simon Staeheli sis at open.ch
Thu Feb 5 13:47:23 UTC 2015

>> "Amos Jeffries"  wrote in message news:54BE3B5C.8040800 at
>> treenet.co.nz...

>> On 20/01/2015 11:31 p.m., Simon Stäheli wrote:
>>> Are there any other benefits in using ext_kerberos_ldap_group_acl
>>> instead of ext_ldap_group_acl except the "Netbios name to Kerberos
>>> domain name” mappings provided by the -N option. As far as I can
>>> tell, this mapping can also easily be done by writing you own
>>> helper perl script which is doing the mapping and finally feeds the
>>> more common ext_ldap_group_acl helper.
>>>

>> Whatever floats your boat. The point of the Addon/Plugin/helpers API
>> is that you can use scripts if thy serve your needs better.
>>
>> All the usual Open Source benefits of "many eyeballs" and somebody
>> else doing code maintenance for you applies to using a bundled helper
>> over a custom written one.
>>
>> Beyond that the kerberos helper also provides automatic detection of
>> which LDAP server to use via mutiple auto-configuration methods.
>>

> The idea of the helper was to automate most of the configuration (
> ignoring
> some performance ) and avoid using a username/password, support users
> from
> multiple domains. Secondly I wanted check for nested groups which was
> not
> available in the existing helper and thirdly I also check now against
> the
> primary group of the user.

Thank you Markus for your explanations. I played around with
ext_kerberos_ldap_group_acl and would like to go into some details:

1) it is possible to define more than one LDAP server (e.g. for high
availability reasons)? The -l parameter allows only one ldap url while
-S allows several "server > realm" - mappings.

2) It is correct, that compared to ext_ldap_group_acl,
ext_kerberos_ldap_group_acl does not require a groupname as input (from
stdin), because -g -t -T or -D control the group name?!

3) What is the use case for defining -g GROUP@? What is the difference
to -g GROUP (without @)

4) The "query DNS for SRV record _ldap._tcp.REALM" mechanism seems no to
work for me although the DNS server is configured correctly and querying
with "dig SRV _ldap._tcp.REALM" works fine. Anything to consider here?
_ldap._tcp.REALM SRV query was never sent so far.

5) Similar issues with the Kerberos feature. Keytab und Kerberos config
are available and exported, but the helper only says:
support_ldap.cc(888): DEBUG: Setup Kerberos credential cache
support_ldap.cc(897): DEBUG: Kerberos is not supported. Use
username/password with ldap url instead

Instead of that I found a dns SRV _kerberos._udp.REALM query which was
actually answered by the dns. I assume this is related to the Kerberos
feature?

6) It is possible to use the helper when DNS service is not reachable?
Got some error messages during testing:

kerberos_ldap_group: DEBUG: Canonicalise ldap server name
213.156.236.111:3268
kerberos_ldap_group: ERROR: Error while resolving ip address with
getnameinfo: Temporary failure in name resolution
kerberos_ldap_group: DEBUG: Error during initialisation of ldap
connection: Success

Beside this tiny issues the helper works excellent (tested with basic,
NTLM and Kerberos authentication). I am just trying to discover the
whole potential. Thank you very much for any responses.

Regards
Simon