[squid-users] Hypothetically comparing SATA\SAS to NAS\SAN for squid.

Eliezer Croitoru eliezer at ngtech.co.il
Tue Feb 3 14:47:11 UTC 2015

Hey Omid,

I do not have benchmarks.

I was actually in the past looking at GlusterFS and NFS for couple purposes.
The Gigabit and 10Gb have their difference.
The main big thing is that a simple SATA\SAS jack\connector\port
supports up to 6Gb and in most cases the machine will not utilize even
1Gb per port\disk.

If you do ask me about a comparison about ISCSI vs nfs vs glusterfs I
would grade NFS as the best for lots of files while glusterfs is better
for big files.
An ISCSI partition benefits are VFS in memory objects which eventually
reduce access time compared to glusterfs and NFS.

I have tested glusterfs as a backend for a hypervisor and a local SSD
drive was faster.

Do you have anything you think about Omid? if you have a scenario in
hand I would like hear about it.

Eliezer