[squid-users] Specifiying openssl location with ./configure?

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Thu Dec 31 05:00:54 UTC 2015

On 2015-12-29 09:12, George Hollingshead wrote:
> I have a localy compilied the latest openssl to default location
> /usr/local directory.

If you really have done that then any Squid built after will auto-detect
it there and link to that new OpenSSL version using only the
"--with-openssl" build option.

> Is there a way to run ./configure to use the openssl headers and such
> in the /usr/local directories?

If you actually built the newer OpenSSL and placed it somewhere
non-default then you should build Squid using "--with-openssl=/path"
where the path is the *base* directory under which you installed
OpenSSL.

I.e. using --with-openssl=/path literally, autoconf will look for
/path/include/openssl/*.h and /path/lib/openssl.a and add the -I and -L
compiler flags automatically for you if all the required pieces are
actually found there and working. Or will exit with an error stating
what parts are broken.

The method Yuri pointed out (adding the compiler flags manually) can
also work, but none of the ./configure testing is done to verify the
things there are working. So Squid will be built with all OpenSSL bug
workarounds disabled, and if any were needed or the openssl install is
broken you will not find out until much later in the build process.

PS. same goes for any software correctly using autoconf --with/--without
options to link libraries.