[squid-users] Time for cache synchronization between siblings

Sreenath BH bhsreenath at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 14:10:12 UTC 2015

Hi,

Thanks for the tips. After disabling digest I believe performance improved.
However, I found that randomly requests were being routed to parent
even when siblings had the data cached.

>From access.log I found TIMEOUT_CARP. I assumed this meant HTCP timed
out and squid was forced to go to fetch the data. So I increased
icp_query_timeout to 4000 milliseconds, and the hit rate increased
further.

But I still find that sometimes, even after getting a HIT response
from a sibling, squid, for some reason still decides to go to the
parent for requested object.

Are there any other reasons why squid will decide to go to parent servers?

And another question: When the hash key is computed for storing cache
objects, does Squid use the hostname(or IP address) also as part of
URL, or just the part that appears after the hostname/IP:port numbers?

For example: if ip address is squid servers is 10.135.85.2 and
10.135.85.3, and a request made to 1st server would have had the IP
address as part of the URL. However, next time same request is made to
server2, a different IP address would be used. Does this affect cache
hit at the sibling server?

I think it should not, but is this the case?

We will have a load balancer that sends requests to each squid server,
and we want cache peering to work correctly in this case.

thanks,
Sreenath