[squid-users] issue with video

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Wed Dec 16 03:19:12 UTC 2015

On 16/12/2015 3:02 a.m., Magic Link wrote:

> Hi,
> the preview video here doesn't start, only the ads starts, then black screen appears. Then i don't have the choice, the play button appears and itplays the ads again and again : http://www.cbsnews.com/news/heroin-in-the-heartland-60-minutes/. Tested with squid 3.4.8 and 3.5.10If i use a direct access without the proxy with the same computer, the preview video begins (length 45 sec)
> The videos listed here works very well with squid : http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/

There is nothing in the logs indicating that a large video is even being
requested through Squid. The small 4.4KB size of that CONNECT I found
could be the ads happening, but the video should follow those in the
same tunnel connection. And there are a huge amount of surrounding
requests to ad services. So I suspect the ads that do appear are in
those other requests.

I have seen similar ads-only behaviour every now any again on other
video sites when using the latest Firefox with no proxy at all. So I
suspect this is not Squid exactly but a problem with browser, media
player, or the video on the server.

You will need to do the debugging using those tools Eliezer mentioned.

One experiment I can suggest is looking through that log for the ad
services and making an http_access deny rule in squid.conf to block
them. See if the video behaviour changes in a good way, or the logs
reduce to showing anything more clear about the video transfer(s) once
the surrounding advert scripts are gone.