[squid-users] Fw: Squid 32-bit (2.7.2) much faster than 64-bit (3.5.11)

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Sun Dec 13 06:20:35 UTC 2015

On 13/12/2015 11:44 a.m., Patrick Flaherty wrote:
> I agree, though it would be nice if there were some *warning* in the CACHE.LOG about slow DNS transactions.

It's not the DNS itslf. That appears to be working fine.

dns_v4_first having a good effect means that the DNS for A and AAAA are
both happening fast. The TCP connection opening to IPv6 servers is
timing out (dns_v4_first sorts the A to be tried first at the TCP
stage). That kind of thing happens a lot.

If you have your timeouts set to be short Squid will log transactions as
TIMEOUT. Otherwise they are just like any other broken server IP
address. Retried, but slow in getting around to the IPv4 which works.