[squid-users] Fw: Squid 32-bit (2.7.2) much faster than 64-bit (3.5.11)

Patrick Flaherty vze2k3sa at verizon.net
Sat Dec 12 22:44:12 UTC 2015

I agree, though it would be nice if there were some *warning* in the CACHE.LOG about slow DNS transactions.
------------------------------

Message: 6
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2015 17:03:25 +1300
From: Amos Jeffries <squid3 at treenet.co.nz>
To: squid-users at lists.squid-cache.org
Subject: Re: [squid-users] Fw: Squid 32-bit (2.7.2) much faster than

On 12/12/2015 7:42 a.m., Patrick Flaherty wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I added the following line to my squid.conf and now Squid 3.5.11 is as fast as 2.7.2 and feels like direct internet access.
>
> dns_v4_first on

That plus the huge difference in speed tells me that you have very
broken IPv6 connectivity. Most likely ICMP is not working on your
network, or one of your upstreams.

ICMP is not an optional protocol. It is mandatory for efficient
congestion control, even in IPv4 networks.

Amos

*****