[squid-users] squid auth

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Tue Dec 8 09:03:12 UTC 2015

On 8/12/2015 7:44 p.m., Alex Samad wrote:
> Hi
>
> Currently using 3.1 (from centos 6)
> I have setup squid to auth against MS AD
>
> I have
> # #######
> # Negotiate
> # #######
>
> # http://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/Authentication
> # http://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/NegotiateAuthentication
> auth_param negotiate program /usr/bin/ntlm_auth
> --helper-protocol=gss-spnego --configfile /etc/samba/smb.conf-squid
> auth_param negotiate children 10 startup=0 idle=3
> auth_param negotiate keep_alive on
>
> # #######
> # NTLM AUTH
> # #######
>
> # ntlm auth
> auth_param ntlm program /usr/bin/ntlm_auth
> --helper-protocol=squid-2.5-ntlmssp --configfile
> /etc/samba/smb.conf-squid
> auth_param ntlm children 10
> #auth_param ntlm children 10 startup=0 idle=3
> #auth_param ntlm keep_alive
>

> # #######
> # NTLM over basic
> # #######
>
> # warning: basic authentication sends passwords plaintext
> # a network sniffer can and will discover passwords
> auth_param basic program /usr/bin/ntlm_auth
> --helper-protocol=squid-2.5-basic --configfile
> /etc/samba/smb.conf-squid
> auth_param basic children 5
> auth_param basic realm Squid proxy-caching web server
> auth_param basic credentialsttl 2 hours
>

> I want to move towards using kerberos come to this page
> http://wiki.squid-cache.org/ConfigExamples/Authenticate/Kerberos
>
> worked through that, but i saw this
>
> Do not use this method if you run winbindd or other samba services as
> samba will reset the machine password every x days and thereby makes
> the keytab invalid !!

As I understand it that disclaimer applies only to the "OR with Samba"
instructions for keytab creation directly above it. The other two
methods should work.

Also, it is just a disclaimer about a known problem. There is always the
option to setup a script that re-builds the keytab and reloads Squid
every X days when it changes.

> I have winbindd running for my users list in linux
>
> is there a way around this and if not how

The initial mskutil method of keytab creation is both a way around it
and the preferred method of keytab creation.

As you found elsewhere ...

> then found this one
> http://wiki.squid-cache.org/ConfigExamples/Authenticate/WindowsActiveDirectory
>
> but I am not using msktutil, i do have samba and the krb-workstation installed

mskutil is just a tool to generate keytabs and link the machine to
domain. I *think* it should still be usable even if you have Sambe, the
probem is just that if you let Samba know about the keytab and account
it will do the periodic updates.