[squid-users] Understand debug Logs

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Fri Dec 4 17:21:46 UTC 2015

On 5/12/2015 5:53 a.m., Patrick Flaherty wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have debug level set to 2 (ALL,2) and was wondering if ANY of the
> following messages in the logs below were of concern.

level "ALL,0" displays only critical issues.

level ALL,1 displays the above plus other important issues that should
be attended to, but are not serious enough to panic about.

Everything else is informational. Squid has a long history of people
randomly selecting what level to display things at, so there is not much
coherency.

> I'm new to Squid and
> loving it. Particularly where it says always_direct = DENIED & never_direct
> = DENIED.

The first means the message was not forced to go DIRECT to a DNS listed
server.

The second means the message was not forced to go to a cache_peer.