[squid-users] mail upload problem

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Thu Dec 3 10:02:12 UTC 2015

On 3/12/2015 7:17 p.m., vivek singh wrote:
> Thanks for the quick reply. please find the answers below
> 1. while uploading attachments,it stays idle without any advancement in
> attachment progress bar.
> 2. we have tested on IE,Crome and Firefox with the same result.
> 3. Major mail services used are i. gmail, 2. mail.bsnl.co.in
> 4. yes, clients can access internet through proxy servers only, no other
> way.
> 5. squid.conf (all the access lists are separate text files)
> acl SSL_ports port 443
> acl CONNECT method CONNECT
> http_access deny !Safe_ports
> http_access deny CONNECT !SSL_ports
> http_access allow localhost manager
> http_access deny manager
> http_access allow all exceptionlist

The "all" on the above line is doing nothing. You can remove it to
clarify what this config does.

> http_access allow sysadmin_ip sysadmin_time sysadmin_url
> http_access deny all blacklist

 ... same for the "all" on the above line.

> http_access allow tv_ip
> http_access allow sysadmin_ip whitelist
> http_access allow workstation_ip whitelist
> http_access allow localhost
> http_access deny all
> http_port 8080
> cache deny all
> coredump_dir /var/spool/squid
> refresh_pattern ^ftp: 1440 20% 10080
> refresh_pattern ^gopher: 1440 0% 1440
> refresh_pattern -i (/cgi-bin/|\?) 0 0% 0
> refresh_pattern . 0 20% 4320
> dns_nameservers ip1 ip2 ip3 8.8.8.8
> visible_hostname proxyserver
> cache_mgr emailid
> max_filedescriptors 4096
> 6. can be informed later
> 7. I meant to state that this problem occurs in some machines only, that is
> on those machines attachment is not uploaded at all.

Which ones? ie. How does the IP correlate to the tv_ip, sysadmin_ip,
workstation_ip ACLs above?

Any difference with attachment size?

Any difference with how those machines are configured to use the proxy
vs ones that work? (Manual setting? WPAD/PAC auto-configuration?)

Any pattern with the client OS type and version?
 or the browser versions?

Exactly what version of squid-3.5.x is being used?
 Running on what operating system?
 Self-built or a packaged Squid from .. where?

If the above questions do not lead you towards an answer, are you able
to get a packet trace to see where the pause is happening
(client<->squid, or squid<->server), and whether the upload is actually
hung, or just not being reported right by the browser.