[squid-users] rollback squid

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Thu Dec 3 03:27:55 UTC 2015

On 3/12/2015 9:18 a.m., Alex Samad wrote:
> Discard you mean delete .. the cache directories

Yes, and redo the squid -z process to partition new one(s).

> if so
>
> I currently have 3 directories, is this an opportunity to consolidate
> down to 1 directory is that better ?

Another tricky question with "it depends" as the answer.

If you have a fast (Gbit) network and want lowest latency possible,
removing cache_dir entirely is best. But you will pay for latency gains
in bandwidth from the lower HIT ratio.

If the cache_dir are of UFS/AUFS/diskd type and on the same HDD. Then
there will definitely be speed gains from removing 2 of them. If they
are on different HDD disk/spindles then you only gain if the removed
ones have slow RPM speeds, commonly have errors, or are in use a lot by
other processes.