[squid-users] ntlm_auth defaulting to succeed

Noel Kelly nkelly at citrusnetworks.net
Wed Dec 2 21:10:52 UTC 2015

Hello All

We have been using Squid and ntlm_auth for many years with mainly
success.  However we have always had a few annoyances like continual
authentication pop-ups if a user has changed their password and not
restarted their session or, as now, persistent popups which seem related
to a browser update (Google Chrome is the suspect currently).

It occurred to me that thee days we don't use ntlm_auth to block
Internet access per se but rather to capture the username to manage
access using ACLs  and the username.

So I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for a Squid config where the
ntlm_auth helper always succeeded regardless of the password  so they
user gets waived through and Squid has the username needed to process
the ACLs?

Thanks
Noel