[squid-users] Building squid | Best Practices?

Howard Waterfall hwaterfall at gmail.com
Sat Aug 29 00:52:32 UTC 2015

Ubuntu 14.04

Squid 3.5.5

Hi -

I've successfully installed, configured and run squid 3.5.5 w/o a problem
using:

sudo apt-get install squid

I want to filter by mac address though, so I purged that install and
re-built squid with the *--enable-arp-acl* flag. I installed using make
install.

This is when the problems begin. I've summarized that in a separate thread:

http://lists.squid-cache.org/pipermail/squid-users/2015-August/005232.html

I wonder if there's a way to simply *avoid* all those problems.

A couple of questions:

   1. My build configuration is below. After building and installing, squid
   ended up here: */usr/local/squid/sbin*. I think that's the same place *sudo
   apt-get install squid *puts it right?
   2. Given I had no problems with *sudo apt-get install squid*, is the
   best practice to install squid using that method and arrange for my builds
   to install squid to a different location and simply copy it over?

Thanks,

Deiter

./configure --prefix=/usr --localstatedir=/var
--libexecdir=${prefix}/lib/squid3 --srcdir=.
--datadir=${prefix}/share/squid3 --sysconfdir=/etc/squid3
--with-default-user=proxy --with-logdir=/var/log
--with-pidfile=/var/run/squid.pid --enable-arp-acl