[squid-users] completely transparent Squid

Antony Stone Antony.Stone at squid.open.source.it
Thu Aug 27 16:52:46 UTC 2015

On Thursday 27 Aug 2015 at 17:21, Arkantos wrote:

> the community is now wanting a caching server.
>
> i have zeroed in on CentOS+Squid+Webmin
> but we are unable to configure it as a "completely transparent cache"

If your community of users wants a caching proxy server, why make it
transparent?

I'm assuming that you're in charge of both a DHCP server giving the users
their IP addresses, and local caching DNS server doing name resolution, so why
not just implement PAC https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proxy_auto-config and let
the clients discover the caching proxy and then use it?

Even if you can't do this, why not set up a proxy (not in transparent mode),
tell the users how to connect to it, and let them use it because they want to?

Configuring a proxy such as squid in transparent mode never works quite as
well as configuring it for explicit mode (where the clients know they're
talking to a proxy), so this would give you a better end result as well as
being easier to set up.

Hope that helps,

Antony.

PS: If you feel you really do want to set up a transparent proxy, but have
failed to get Squid to do what you need, please at least let us know what you
have tried so far so we can help you deal with the problem.  This means
telling us:

 - the network configuration, being especially clear about where the Squid
machine is in the network setup
 - the squid.conf you are trying to use (without comments or blank lines)
 - how you are testing it and finding that it doesn't work
 - what you are seeing (browser errors, log file messages, etc) to indicate
that it doesn't work.

--
Atheism is a non-prophet-making organisation.

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.