[squid-users] Squid 3.5.7, cache_swap_high, bug or not bug ?

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Wed Aug 26 19:07:10 UTC 2015

On 27/08/2015 6:48 a.m., FredT wrote:
> Hi Amos,
>
> OK, clear :o)
>
> Did you think to apply the low/high to the "Filemap Used" too ?
> From my point of view the Filemap Used is much more important in the objects
> cleaning because it reaches the 16 million entries faster than the cache
> space, especialy with small objects (<64kb).

In those circumstances this algorithm clears out fileno faster than it
clears space. Since theagrressiveness is measured in pure count of how
many fileno/sec it tries to free up. At high-water it will always try to
free 220 fileno/sec but that may be 0.0001% of the cache distance
towards low-water - forcing another 220 etc the next second. Only when
caching bigger objects will the fileno free-ups be low - when it doesn't
matter as much.

I've put a "TODO possible improvements" list into the code where someone
will see it anyway. With that and the other things to experiment with.