[squid-users] How to limit upload bandwidth in squid proxy?

Brandon Elliott tech at neosys.net
Mon Aug 24 01:03:13 UTC 2015

Hi Nicolaas,

I read the article you pointed to, but it isn't applicable. I need to be
able to limit upload bandwidth PER USER just like squid does for download
bandwidth, per user.

QUOTE >> I don’t really know if squid supports this or not, but I can’t
imagine why it would need to, with traffic control built into the linux
kernel in a number of ways.

Somebody saw fit to put download bandwidth limiting into squid, so it makes
sense to support upload bandwidth limiting as well.

I am already using ncsa_auth to manage squid users. I need a solution that
doesn't involve using a second authentication just to limit upload
bandwidth per user.

Any ideas?

On Sun, Aug 23, 2015 at 5:35 PM, Nicolaas Hyatt <spider at smoothnet.org>
wrote:

> I don’t really know if squid supports this or not, but I can’t imagine why
> it would need to, with traffic control built into the linux kernel in a
> number of ways. For example the Linux Advanced Routing & Traffic Control
> (Chapter 9) (http://www.lartc.org/howto/lartc.qdisc.html) can easily help
> you acieve what you are wanting.

*Brandon Elliott*
CEO