[squid-users] refresh_pattern and same objects

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Thu Aug 20 22:10:42 UTC 2015

On 21/08/2015 2:38 a.m., Stakres wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Maybe someone gets the info already...
> A refresh_pattern with 1 week maxi, if the same object is "visited" (coming
> from the squid cache) every day, will the object be deleted 1 week after the
> first cache action or will the squid add +1 week each time the object is
> used from the cache ?
>
> My issue is if we cache a big object (windowsupdate, chrome, etc...) for 1
> week or 6 months, do we have to download it again once the initial time is
> over ?
> Or can we expect the same big object will be available from the cache for a
> very long time if it's visited at least 1 time before the end of the time
> limit...
>
> Windowsupdate 10 is about 2.6GB objects, if the max time is 1 month, I don't
> want to re-download such size monthly, if it's used daily...
>
> See what I mean ?

It should revalidate after expiry. Only getting a full copy of the
server insists on sending one in response to the revalidate.

Older Squid used to keep revalidating per-request, I'm not sure if that
got fixed yet. But that is still better than another huge download in
this case.

Worst case you can download a local copy and redirect to it. Like a
self-made WSUS.