[squid-users] Virtual Memory

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Wed Aug 19 14:58:25 UTC 2015

On 20/08/2015 12:28 a.m., Jorgeley Junior wrote:
> Hi guys, sorry if I'm doing a dumb question...
> My squid is using so much virtual memory how you can see in the print, is
> that normal?

Yes.

Squid worker processes use a lot of memory. Then fork() many helper
processes. Each of which is allocated the same amount of virtual memory
that the worker process was using for its much larger needs.

The helper does not actually use that memory so it should not be a major
problem, or even accessed. But the system records it anyway.

Some OS do have problems with it. The dynamic helpers feature and
concurrency channels workaround it by reducing the number of needed
helpers and thus "virtual memory" used.