[squid-users] websockets protocol support via "squid+tproxy"

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Fri Aug 14 04:16:53 UTC 2015

On 14/08/2015 6:52 a.m., SaRaVanAn wrote:
> Hi All,
> We are planning to migrate our client applications from "http" to
> "websockets" protocol.

My condolances.

> Currently we are using "squid+tproxy" in the router. If request comes from
> client application to the router we use "Squid+tproxy" to forward the
> traffic to local web-server with the help of cache-peer option.
>

> I want to confirm whether squid supports "WebSocket and a WebSocket Secure
> connection" when it acts as a transparent proxy.

Depends on your definition of "supports".

In forward-proxy Squid can relay the WebSockets CONNECT requests.

In other modes Squid will correctly handle the Upgrade requests for
Websockets. Gatewaying the traffic back into HTTP.

Squid is an HTTP proxy and gateway. It does not speak native WebSockets.