[squid-users] squid centos and osq_lock

Marcus Kool marcus.kool at urlfilterdb.com
Sat Aug 1 11:45:39 UTC 2015

On 07/31/2015 03:56 PM, Amos Jeffries wrote:
> On 1/08/2015 4:06 a.m., Josip Makarevic wrote:
>> Marcus, tnx for your info.
>> OS is centos 6 w kernel  2.6.32-504.30.3.el6.x86_64
>> Yes, cpu_affinity_map is good and with 6 instances there is load only on
>> first 6 cores and the server is 12 core, 24 HT
>
> Then I suspect that mutex and locking will be the kernel scheduling work
> on the HT cores.
>   In high performance Squid will max out a physical cores worth of
> cycles. HT essentially tries to over-clock physical cores. But trying to
> reach 200% capacity into a physical core with Squid workloads only leads
> to trouble.
>   It is far better to tie Squid with affinity to one instance per
> physical core and let the extra HT capacity be available to the OS and
> other supporting things the Squid instance needs to have happen externally.
>

>> each instance is bound to 1 core. Instance 1 = core1, instance 2 = core 2
>> and so on so that should not be the problem.
>> I've tried with 12 workers but that's even worse.
>
> You do need to be very careful about which core numbers are the HT core
> vs the physical core ID. Last time I saw anyone doing it, every second
> number was a real physical core ID. YMMV.

There are 2 mappings and I have seen them both but I do not recall which I saw where.
You can do the following to find out which CPU# is a sibling (HT core):
cd /sys/devices/system/cpu
for cpu in cpu[0-9]* ; do
    cat $cpu/topology/thread_siblings_list
done

>> Let me try to explain:
>> on non-smp with traffic at ~300mbits we have load of ~4 (on 6 workers).
>> in that case, actual user time is about 10-20% and 70-80% is sys time
>> (osq_lock) and there are no connection timeouts.

The CPU time in osq_lock is not easy to explain but it is not likely caused by Squid itself.
Googling about osq_lock led me to a kernel patch discussion where 500 dd processes on ext4/multipath or a file system repair with 125 threads caused the system to use 70+% CPU in osq_lock.
The general believe was that a lot of outstanding IO caused it.
This brings me to these questions:
- what is your testing method ?
- are there simply too many concurrent connections per instance of Squid ?
- are the bonded 10G interfaces supported by CentOS 6 ?
- can you test with unbonded ethernet? (the bonding driver code uses 2 locks)

You may or may not get better results with CentOS 7 or the custom kernel (try latest or before 3.12 since some issues started with 3.12).

>> If I switch to SMP 6 workers user time goes up but sys time goes up too and
>> there are connection timeouts and the load jumps to ~12.
>> If I give it more workers only load jumps and more connections are being
>> dropped to the point that load goes to 23/24 and the entire server is slow
>> as hell.
>>
>> So, best performance so far are with 6 non-smp workers.

'workers' is a term used by Squid SMP.
To have less confusion, in a non-SMP Squid config, I suggest to use the term 'instance'.

Marcus